North Carolina State Vehicle Inspection
When You Need an Inspection
North Carolina vehicle owners must pass a car inspection every year to be able to legally drive. After passing the safety inspection at a certified mechanic such as C & C Auto Service in Raleigh, you will receive a receipt. The place that performs your inspection will have it entered into the DMV’s registration database so you will be clear to drive. Many counties will also require an emissions inspection which can be done at the same time as the safety inspection.
The safety inspection costs $13.60, the emissions inspection costs $30, and the window tinting inspection (which is only required if your car has additional aftermarket tinting applied to it) costs $10. If any of these inspections fail you will need to get the problem fixed and incur the costs of reinspection.
Before You Go For an Inspection
Because you want your car to pass the inspection the first time to save money and time, you will want to check to make sure you can fix anything that will cause your vehicle to fail. Here are a few things that you can check without even opening the hood of your car:
- Tinted windows cannot be darker than 32% or below 5 inches from the top of the windshield
- Brakes and all lights must work properly
- The horn should be functional and permanently attached to the vehicle
- The steering wheel and the steering is relatively balanced
- Windshield wipers function and the blades are in good condition
- Rearview mirrors must be properly mounted and adjustable
- Tires must have at least 2/32 inch depth of tread (check this by placing a penny straight into the middle of the tread with Lincoln’s head directly into the tread, if his head disappears there is enough tread). If not you need new tires.
Where to Get an Inspection
There are many other parts that require inspection but the average person won’t be able to check these without a professional mechanic. When you think you are ready you will need to bring your car to an official North Carolina Inspection Station. C & C Auto Service in Raleigh, North Carolina can not only perform the inspection on your car but also make any repairs necessary to pass the inspection. We also provide a free shuttle service and wifi while your car is occupied. Call us at 919-249-6098 to schedule an appointment.